Monday, August 03, 2009

home brewed


home brewed
Originally uploaded by borealnz
I grew up with the smell of hops in the house, my father was a keen home-brewer and there was almost always something bubbling away in the corner of the kitchen or the garage. The earlier brews were made in the traditional way with real hops and malt and were bottled in the old tall type of beer bottle you see in the photo. Because there was always a couple of centimetres of sediment at the bottom of the bottle, the beer had to be decanted into a jug and from there poured into his favourite beer mug (ceramic with a picture of a stag)....(it's strange how you suddenly remember these small details). I don't remember too many dud brews but I guess there must have been some, nor can I remember exploding bottles.

When beer kits became available he switched to those for ease of use and while the resulting brew was more predictable it wasn't nearly as exciting as the old home-brew stinking hops and all.
He also used to make his own wine, but I'll write about that another day.

3 comments:

paulgrand said...

Cool, very creative family!:-)

Anonymous said...

My tea toteing grandmother made root beer in her basment in Indianapolis, Indiana USA. I think they could pop their tops if disturbed or the formula was off. I remember how amazing I thought it was that besides chocolate chip cookies and winter time cherry pies she brewed Root Beer. CT POSTER on FLICKR

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

So very stunning Jill.
You make a simple bottle a work
of art...