Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Resting place


Resting place
Originally uploaded by borealnz
Last week when we finally had a sunny morning I walked to one of my favourite Dunedin places, the Northern Cemetery.

There had been a frost that morning and it was still frosty in the shade when I got there, but the sun was shining and the light was wonderful. Apart from a couple of council workers pruning roses I was the only person there and it was very peaceful.

It's a fairly wild and untamed place with many trees and shrubs, it used to be even wilder but in the past twenty or so years much work has been done in tidying it and removing the vegetation which was damaging graves. Unfortunately there has been a lot of damage done by pests of the human variety -I wonder what satisfaction people get out of toppling and smashing headstones.

My favourite time to visit is in early summer when the old roses are in flower. Cemeteries and old roses are a perfect match. Roll on summer :-)

No comments: